Paris, the capital city of France, is one of the most visited cities by tourists across the world. Paris is a city known for its rich history, architecture, heritage, and never-ending romance. This bustling city is filled with people, life, and lights all throughout the year, and no wonder Paris is also called the City of Lights. Paris suits any and every type of traveler, be it a couple seeking romance on their honeymoon, a family vacation, or even a solo traveler wanting to admire the beauty of Paris all for themselves. You get to experience an amazing culture, architecture, food, fashion, shopping, entertainment, and whatnot, as you traverse through this beautiful city.
Paris can be a little bit overwhelming, especially if you are visiting Europe for the first time. So as a traveler, there are few basic things that you should know about the city of Paris before you take up the most memorable vacation of your lifetime!
- How to reach Paris?
Paris is one of the busiest and accessible cities in the world. To reach Paris via flight, there are three major airports, Charles de Gaulle International Airport, Beauvais Airport, and Orly International Airport, which connects Paris to cities across the world. If you are trying to reach Paris by train from other European cities, you have a very good connectivity through the SNCF trains. To travel from Paris from other French cities, you can make use of the high-speed TGV trains.
- When is the right time to travel to Paris?
Even though Paris can be visited throughout the year, the main visiting season for Paris is in between May-August. Summer will be the best season to visit Paris as the weather is clear and you can visit all the attractions without worrying about the weather. Between September-December, the climate transits from Spring to Monsoon to Winter, as you may receive frequent rainfalls. Although this season is the best time to visit for honeymooners, and also for people who are looking for art, culture, and celebrations. Most of the hotels are booked off in the month of September and February as the Paris Fashion Week happens at those months, so plan accordingly.
- What is the Visa procedure for flying into Paris?
Indians will have to avail the Schengen Visa to travel to Paris.
- What is the ideal duration to visit Paris?
This completely depends on the individual’s preferences. If you are looking to cover only the top attractions, a 3-day trip would be sufficient. But if you are looking for a comprehensive trip and experience, around 7 days would be sufficient to cover them all
- How to travel in Paris?
Metro trains are the easiest and most efficient way to travel within the city of Paris. There are 16 extensive metro routes in the city. Along with that, you also have a lot of buses and six main train stations, which will furthermore facilitate your travel within the city. But keep in mind that the best way to experience Paris, their locals, and its culture is to travel through the city by walk. Walk, walk, walk, because every time you walk, the city of Paris keeps throwing its charm and surprises all the way!
- What are a few things you should keep in mind when you travel to Paris?
- Learning a little bit of French, at least the salutations, will help you a long way in Paris, and you will also be able to befriend a lot of locals.
- Parisians take their vacation during the month of August, so generally, there aren’t many locals in the city. This could well be a boon or bane, depending on the type of traveler you are.
- Avoid restaurants and food tasting in touristy places as they tend to be very expensive, and also not very authentic. Try authentic French cuisine in the not so touristy places to get the best value for your money.
- Parisians are very keen about the cleanliness of their city, so ensure you dump the trash only in the designated trash bins. Throwing a cigarette butt on the streets could attract fine up to 68 euros.
- Walk a lot across the streets of Paris to experience the culture and also the amazing street arts all through the city.
- Food in Paris
Paris is a paradise for the foodies. You could have one of the best gastronomic experiences across the world in the city of Paris. Paris is well known for its cheese, wine, and croissants. You get a wide range of food options, including vegetarian and vegan options. The distinctive cuisine that the country offers is what makes it world-class. There are plenty of must-taste dishes across the city. Plan accordingly to ensure you don’t miss any of them as this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to satiate your taste buds!
- Must-visit places in Paris
- Eiffel Tower – The most famous landmark in the city of Paris. There are two levels, the 2nd floor, and the Summit. Try to visit this place in the evening as the view is glorious during the sunset.
- Louvre Museum – Famous for its Mona Lisa artwork, the Louvre Museum is one of the most visited art museums across the globe. It is a massive museum, so plan your schedule accordingly. This museum is closed on Tuesdays.
- Notre Dame Cathedral – It is a Roman Catholic cathedral, which is one of the most visited spots in Paris. Its Gothic style architecture and gargoyles are what makes it special.
- Arc De Triomphe – Also known as the Arch of Triumph, this monument is a Sunset viewing deck and is built in honor of the Imperial Army in the 19th century.
- Palace of Versailles – One of the most famous castles in France, and also a world heritage site, the Palace of Versailles flaunts the French Supremacy. Its charming artwork and decor are the highlights.
- Disneyland – This is one of the must-visit places if you are traveling along with your kids. This lively, colorful, and bustling amusement park can keep you entertained throughout the day, and it keeps not just the kids entertained!
- Seine River Cruise – Perfect way to embrace the lights and beauty of the city is to take up a boat cruise in the Seine River. Ideally, you can start this trip post Sunset, and you could also choose to have dinner during the cruise, which makes it all the more romantic and special.
- Montmartre – Montmartre is famous for its white-domed Basilica of the Sacred Heart at the top and is located in a hill in the north of Paris. It stands at a height of over 130 meters. A must-visit for art and culture lovers.
- Moulin Rouge – Strictly only for adults, this hosts the world-famous cabaret dance, also considered as the spiritual birthplace of the well renowned French Cancan. Its extravagance and class make it a hotspot for the tourists.
- Latin Quarter and Luxembourg Park – The Latin Quarter is a student hub, housing several prominent educational institutions. Luxembourg Park is very famous for hosting several notable sporting events in the city of Paris.
Paris, when planned meticulously, will ensure you get a taste of anything and everything one would expect in an international vacation. That being said, planning is a very important aspect of such vacations. And that is why it is highly recommended to approach travel companies like Pick your trail, Travel Triangle to arrange your Paris tours, as they are highly experienced in curating the best travel itineraries. What are you waiting for? Book your Paris vacation! Pack your bags and embrace the city of love and lights!